Sunday, March 30, 2008

the catcher in the rye



looks familiar? well maybe not. the books called the catcher in the rye and it's awesomeness. believe me it is. it had me reading non-stop. it's about this guy named holden caulfield and the whole story is just him rambling on and on about his life. i think he has a serious case of the ramblings. once he starts he just can't stop. he'll just continue rambling on and on until he snapped back to reality. this book is written in narrative-descriptive form. so it's like reading 214 pages of composition. but that won't bother me if the composition is this good. writing composition is also a hobby of holden.
this book uses some signature spelling like god damn-goddam, hell of a-helluva, son of a-sonnuva. so yeah it's filled with crude languages. but what interest me the most is the fact that the killer of john lennon was carrying this book with him when he was caught. same case with the guy who tried to kill president reagan. he claimed that he was obsessed with the book. i can see why. the book is one helluva book.

i like the way holden describes things, which he does on like every paragraph of the book. but out of all, this paragrapgh happens to be my favorite. it's about jane gallagher, a friend of his. and Allie, is holden's brother which has passed away.

She was a funny girl, old jane. I wouldn't exactly describe her as strictly beautiful. She knocked me out, though. She was sort of muckle-mouthed. I mean when she was talking and she got excited about something, her mouth sort of went in about fifty directions, her lips and all. That killed me. And she never really closed it all the way, her mouth. It was always just a little bit open, especially when she got in her golf stance, or when she was reading a book. She was always reading, and she read very good books. She read a lot of poetry and all. She was the only one, outside my family, that i ever showed Allie's baseball mitt to, with all the poems written on it. She'd never met Allie or anything, because that's her first summer in Maine-before that, she went to Cape Cod-but I told her quite a lot about him. She was interested in that kind of stuff.

there. i know this might sound weird and all but i've never seen a paragraph that could've described me better. and it's not even meant for me. even i have an 'Allie' in real life. and a 'baseball' mitt. i've read the paragraph over and over until it's practically tattooed to my mind. i just love it.

read this book people. seriously. it's worth it.

No comments: